The thermostat is sitting at a balmy 106 degrees today, and the dog days of summer are upon us. The MLB season is in full swing, and the NBA and NHL seasons are FINALLY over. The NBA had its draft recently (Stay hot, Myck! Have fun in Lithuania.), and the start of the college football season is less than two months away. With that comes the birth of yet another exciting tailgating season for Craig’s Way. “But Gentlemen of Craig’s Way, you guys have outdone yourselves year after year, and I don’t possibly know how your tailgate can get any better.” Listen up, pal. I like you’re thinking and I know it’s tough to comprehend, but let us worry about that. You just show up on game day ready to take down a few Silver Bullets and a John Daly or two, and we’ll make sure a good time is had by all.
Most blogs are breaking down the 2013 schedule game by game trying to determine how the Horns will fare in each matchup, so why waste our time doing much of the same? The Horns are older, more experienced, deeper, and Mack has something to prove. No sense in prognosticating in the middle of the summer. However, let’s preview what each tailgate has to offer and what you can expect at 15th and Trinity week in and week out.
August 31 @ 7:00 pm
New Mexico State – Austin, TX
- The Horns are starting off the 2013 season with the AGGIES! No, not those Aggies. It’s the New Mexico State Aggies! Okay. Okay. I know what you’re thinking. “Didn’t we kill that team last year like 45-0?” No, that was the University of New Mexico—the Lobos—but same difference. This isn’t the most exciting of opening games, but who are we kidding? We just spent the last eight months begging for college football, so we’re bound to have a hell of a turnout. It’s going to be warm, so be sure to dress light and hydrate prior to arrival.
September 14 @ 7:00 pm
Ole Miss – Austin, TX
- Okay, so this is one of those tailgates that only come around once a decade or so. It’s not like Ole Miss is Bama or anything but they’re still from the SEC, and you have to respect that. The game got a little out of hand in the second half last year in Oxford, so the Rebels are hungry for some revenge. That’s not what’s important though. These guys know how to party. We know how to party. Gametime starts at 7pm so this is going to be an all day rager. You better bring your style A-game as these folks from the Deep South know how to dress. I can almost guarantee you we’ll have live music set up, and I bet the guys from Rowdy Gentlemen won’t miss this opportunity to hand out some new koozie, hat, or tank designs. You need to have a star next to this tailgate on your calendar, so don’t miss out.
September 21 @ TBA
Kansas State – Austin, TX
- Second tailgate in two weeks and following the Ole Miss game, this tailgate is bound to suffer. It’s not that Kansas St. is a poor opponent, but seriously, who cares about Kansas St.? We’ll still have plenty of Coors, Coors Light, and Blue Moon to go around, and the Zummo sausage and boudin will taste just as good. This will be a great opportunity to come introduce yourself to the Gentlemen of Craig’s Way and get to know us a little better.
November 02 @ TBA
Kansas – Austin, TX
- By the time the KU game rolls around we will have gone six weeks between tailgates, so everyone will be excited to get back out to 15th and Trinity. The weather will be cooler and the Jayhawks are terrible. Celebrations should ensue before, during, and after the game. Plus you never know if Austin native and ex-KU quarterback, Todd Reesing, may show up. He’s been known to stop by Craig’s Way in the past.
November 16 @ TBA
Oklahoma State – Austin, TX
- If it seems like Okie St. plays in Austin every year, it’s because it’s true. This will be the third time in four years the Pokes make their way down to the 40 Acres. These have been good games usually as both programs should be in the Top 25. Be on the lookout for guys in overalls with no shirts and oversized, cartoonish, cowboy hats. That may be par for the course in Stillwater, but that just doesn’t fly in Austin. This has all the makings of being a night game, and the Cowboys will be one of the top two or three opponents the Horns get at home this season. This will be a tailgate you won’t want to miss.
November 28 @ 6:30 pm
Texas Tech – Austin, TX
- It’s the last tailgate of the year. It’s a night game. It’s on Thanksgiving. And it’s the Tech tailgate. The Tech tailgate is generally the largest tailgate we have every other year, and this has the makings of another blowout. Last year’s Thanksgiving tailgate against TCU was a huge success, and we’d expect more people to attend this year with Tech in town. Whenever these two teams matchup it seems like half the usual Longhorn fans we have at the tailgates now turn into Tech crazies. Expect some fried turkeys and all the Thanksgiving sides you can imagine. We’ll work on getting some live music for this game as well. Let’s just hope the weather is sunny and 75 so we can all witness the real battle on this day—the ladies rocking boots, short skirts, with red shirts throwing their guns up vs. the ladies rocking boots, short skirts, with burnt orange shirts throwing their horns up. God Bless Texas!